Well, it's our last night in Southeast Asia.. We're excited to come home, but don't want to leave at the same time. We've been gone for a while. It feels like ages ago we were just arriving in Kuala Lumpur. Anyway, I figured for my last blog entry I would just post a list of Best/Worst/Favorite/Most/Least (etc.) of our trip. This will hopefully answer most of the questions people want to ask us- so when we get home I don't have to say the same things to every single person we know over and over again and we can just get on with life. =P Don't get me wrong, I'm still going to bring up our trip as often as I can in the most annoying way possible, I just figure it's better to get the FAQ's out of the way first.
The question I'm anticipating getting asked the most is something along the lines of "What was your most memorable experience?". My Answer is: I hate this question. Don't ask it.
- Favorite Country: Vietnam
- Favorite Places (by country):
- Malaysia: Langkawi
- Indonesia: Bukit Lewang
- Thailand: Chiang Mai
- Cambodia: Siem Reap
- Laos: Luang Prabang
- Vietnam: Hoi An
- Philippines: Coron
- Worst City: Medan, Indonesia
- Best Beach: Maremegmeg, El Nido, Philippines
- Best Waterfall: Kouang Si, Luang Prabang, Laos
- Best Guesthouse and Service: Hoang Trinh, Hoi An, Vietnam
- Worst Guesthouse: Fancisco Inn, El Nido, Philippines
- Worst Service: The bitches from Jansom Guesthouse in Chiang Rai
- Best Shower (it was so good I had to mention it): My Dream Hotel, Medan, Indonesia
- Best Food: Thailand/Vietnam (tie)
- Best Restaurant: Blue Diamond, Chiang Mai, Thailand.
- Best New Food: Cau Lau, Hoi An, Vietnam
- Worst New Food: Rojak, Penang, Malaysia
- Best Coffee: Vietnam
- Worst Coffee: Coron Bistro, Coron, Philippines
- Foods most missed from Home: Real Cheese, Whole wheat bread, Cereal, Milk, Sushi, Red Wine
- Best Beer: Kingdom Dark Lager, Cambodia
- Worst Beer: Chang, Thailand
- Best Local Spirit: Lao Lao Rice Liquor, Laos
- Worst Local Spirit: Sangsom Rum, Thailand
- Cheapest Beer: Vietnam ($0.50 for 500ml Saigon Beer in Saigon)
- Best Value for Money: Vietnam
- Worst Value for Money: Malaysia/ Philippines (tie)
- Biggest Tourist Trap: Phuket Island Hopping Tour
- Biggest Scam: Thailand/Cambodia border scam
- Weirdest Experience: Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum, Hanoi, Vietnam
- Most off the beaten track activity: Kong Lo Cave, Laos
- Most Dangerous Endeavor: Riding helmetless on the back of a Motorcycle in Indonesia to get to an ATM
- Best New Endeavour: Scuba Diving
- Nicest People: Vietnam
- Worst Drivers: Cambodia
- Best Drivers: Hanoi, Vietnam
- Fastest Drivers: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Most English Spoken by Locals: Philippines
- Least English Spoken by Locals: Laos
- "Where you from?"
- "Buy Someseeng?"
- "Tuk Tuk? [no, thank you] How about tomorrow?"
- "This one bettah quality."
- "Yes mum, thank you mum, sir"